Truck accidents can result in injuries, significant damage to your vehicle, and mental pain and anguish that lasts beyond your physical ailments. In some cases, a truck accident may even result in the death of a loved one. If you or a loved one is a victim of a truck accident in the state of Maryland, it is important that you choose legal representation that will make sure you are fully compensated for your suffering. The personal injury attorneys at Holzman & Associates have the experience to protect you from insurance companies and a deep understanding of Maryland-specific accident laws to help you navigate this difficult time.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
While truck accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, the majority are caused by negligence, either by the operator or the trucking company. In the state of Maryland, the driver of the truck, as well as the driver’s employer, can be held responsible for negligence if their actions while operating the truck caused an accident. Often, accidents are caused by driver error due to fatigue and can result in significant injuries and damages. Additionally, the trucking company can also be liable for damages if they are also found negligent. This could include if they failed to properly train the drivers, if they were negligent in the maintenance of the truck, or if they hired a driver who was unqualified or unable to safely operate the vehicle. This negligence can lead to significant injuries to you and your loved ones. Our experienced attorneys have the experience necessary to navigate a truck accident trial and the knowledge needed to apply Maryland-specific laws and pursue the damages you are owed.
What Is Contributory Negligence?
You may be familiar with the term “contributory negligence”. In the state of Maryland, if the plaintiff is found at-fault, even if the accident is 99% the defendant’s fault, the plaintiff can be denied the recovery of damages. This is referred to as contributory negligence and it is another reason why it is crucial to select legal representation that understands all the Maryland-specific laws and regulations.
What Do I Do After an Accident With A Truck?
The number one concern following an accident is the safety of you and your loved ones. If you or someone you know is involved in an accident with a truck, it is important to adhere to the following steps designed to ensure your safety and preserve your right to obtain the damages you may be owed.
- Ensure your safety. Check your surroundings to make sure you are clear to exit your vehicle. Try to get far away from any nearby traffic and wait for emergency services to arrive. If possible, avoid moving your vehicle until instructed to do so by the police.
- Call 911. Let them know that you have been in an accident and make them aware of the need for any additional emergency services, such as an ambulance.
- Don’t overshare. While this can be difficult, especially in the aftermath of an injury, the best thing to do after an accident is to avoid speculating about the cause. This is especially important when it comes to admitting or blaming fault. Avoid these conversations altogether. Instead, focus on collecting the contact and insurance information from the other party. Your attorney will handle all the other details to ensure the best possible outcome of your case.
- Get the other driver’s information. Be sure to collect their name, contact information, employer contact information (especially if they work for a trucking company), insurance, and any statement they may make immediately following the accident.
- Collect additional information. Take photographs of the accident scene and try to take notes of how the accident occurred. This will help us build your case in the future. Following an accident, you may have difficulty remembering some of the details, so your pictures and notes taken on-scene will help later on.
- Seek medical attention. Make the emergency response team aware of any immediate pain or injuries. Even if you are not experiencing any pain, have a physician examine you to ensure you have not suffered any injuries. Often, victims of an accident will report feeling fine at the time of the accident but will later experience pain. For your safety and benefit, seek medical attention and have them perform an examination.
- Call your personal injury attorney. The last step is to call your personal injury attorney so they can begin to work on your case and advise you on the next steps.
We understand that unfortunately, given the severity of some truck accidents, you may not be able to perform all or some of these steps or that you may be reading them after your accident. Our team is here to help guide you through the process and is focused on recouping damages so you and your loved ones can recover and move on.
We Focus on the Legal Details so You Can Recover
Our experience, coupled with our expertise in Maryland traffic and accident laws, will be an asset to you or a loved one. If you are a victim of a trucking accident, the personal injury attorneys of Holzman & Associates welcome the opportunity to sit down with you to determine how we can help you. To schedule a free consultation at our Baltimore office, call us at 410-539-4222 or contact us online. We also meet with clients in their homes or hospital rooms when necessary.
For more than 50 years, Holzman & Associates, LLC has obtained substantial verdicts and settlements for injury victims throughout Maryland. Ask around about us!