When we think of product liability claims we often think of headline-grabbing class action lawsuits. You may recall monumental cases related to cigarettes or asbestos building materials, but product liability claims happen far more frequently than you may realize. Everyday household items can be subject to a product liability case if there is a defect in how they are manufactured or if they are falsely marketed.
The attorneys of Holzman & Dickriede have experience representing clients in a range of product liability cases and have seen it all. From cases related to faulty vehicle parts to unsafe children’s toys and anything in between, you can rely on the expertise of our legal team to fight for you and your rights if you or a loved one was injured due to the use of a defective product.
What is product liability?
Before discussing some of the most common product liability claims, it is important to understand what product liability is. Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring a product is designed, manufactured, and marketed safely and responsibly. If a manufacturer produces or sells a faulty product, they can be held responsible for damages resulting from an accident.
If you or a loved one was injured while using a product that failed to perform the task it was designed or sold to do, it is important to seek legal representation familiar with product liability cases. Our expertise can hold the manufacturer responsible for their negligent actions and recover damages you may be owed.
Common Product Liability Cases
While product liability cases can center around a wide range of products, some are made more frequently than others. The below list highlights five of the more common claims:
- Landscaping Equipment: Many people use lawn care equipment every day for professional or personal use without any incident, but these dangerous tools and machines are often the cause of accidents. Lawnmowers, weedwhackers, and chainsaws are just a few examples of products we commonly see in liability cases. Although manufacturers may claim their product has the necessary safety features, accidents can still happen due to the negligence of the manufacturer.
- Automobile Parts: There is a chance you or someone you know has received a notice from a car manufacturer regarding a product recall. If so, you have likely taken your car in for the necessary repair and not thought much more of it, but the manufacturer’s liability does not end there. If a part of your vehicle causes an accident due to faulty design or production, even after a recall has been made, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Medication and Medical Devices: Medical product liability claims can range from prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines to devices such as wheelchairs, knee, and hip replacements, and pacemakers. Unfortunately, in the worst of circumstances, cases related to medical products can result in wrongful death.
- Construction Equipment: Whether they are being used at home or work, construction equipment can present a serious threat to the operator if they are not properly manufactured. Additionally, equipment that does not provide the necessary warnings or operation instructions is often the subject of a product liability case.
- Children’s Toys: Even though toys are designed and developed for children, some of them still fail to properly ensure a child can safely use them. Most commonly, small pieces of a toy can present a choking hazard. The safety of your child is paramount, and manufacturers should believe the same. For those that do not, our attorneys will hold them responsible.
If you have a question about a potential product liability claim please do not hesitate to contact the attorneys at Holzman & Dickriede. Our accomplished attorneys are here to help.
Contact an Experienced Maryland Products Liability Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Holzman & Dickriede have experience handling all types of product liability cases for Maryland plaintiffs, including cases related to household products, automobiles, and workplace equipment. We provide a free initial consultation in product liability cases where we can discuss your case and potential compensation based on issues with the design, production, or marketing/labeling of a product. We are always happy to meet with clients at their homes or the hospital. To make an appointment at our Baltimore office, please call 410-539-4222 or contact us online.
For more than 50 years, Holzman & Dickriede has obtained substantial verdicts and settlements for injury victims throughout Maryland. Ask around about us!